Saturday, May 5, 2012

Thinking about Swarovski...


The proposal I put forward for the Swarovski crystal award involved the incorporation of Swarovski crystal fabric into my designs in the form of hidden layers and windows. These hidden treasures would be metaphorical of my muse whose treasure, while perhaps not immediately obvious, is buried within, ready to be discovered. The hidden crystals would highlight the notion that sometimes one needs to look beneath the facade of a person to find the true gold which is often shrouded by the layers and complexities of life. The fact that this treasure is hidden and therefore must be searched for makes it infinitely more valuable.



Upon further research for my proposed ‘hidden treasure’ concept for the Swarovski brief, I discovered that one of my mentors – Hussein Chalayan – has already created a collection with a similar theme. His collection for Spring/Summer 2008 was titled ‘readings’. It was a used in a film collaboration and essentially involved hundreds of concealed Swarovski  crystals which lit to life through the use of LED lights. It is quite a phenomenal collection which, as can be seen through the images below, is very captivating.



While the garments look spectacular lit up, I actually really like them when they are not lit. The individual pieces have such clean lines and are so beautifully crafted. I also really like the restrained use of the crystals. While they are visible, they do not dominate or overpower the garments, but rather, they add visual value.

No comments:

Post a Comment