Monday, May 14, 2012

Bonding Fabrics...

At present, I am experimenting with Vlisofix which is a form of double sided bonding. I have been using this material to bond fabrics of different weights and textures together, for example heavy weight silk satin and lightweight silk organza.

The inspiration for these bonding experiments has come from imagery of butterfly wings which has emerged throughout my process of research and conceptualisation. I thought it would be an interesting idea to attempt to recreate the colour segmentation which is evident on the wings of butterflies through bonding juxtaposing fabrics. I have been doing this through taking an image - such as that of the monarch butterfly below - and creating a template by cutting out all the orange segments of the wings and leaving only the black veins. I have then been tracing this template onto a piece of cloth which has vlisofix applied to one side. After cutting out the appropriate segments of the cloth I have then been bonding a sheer cloth onto the back of the initial cloth so that the beautiful butterfly wing pattern becomes really quite pronounced.



I intend on continuing my bonding experimentation by changing cloth, colour and scale to discover which are the most successful and consequently, which could be utilised in my final body of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment