Thursday, May 24, 2012

Experimenting with Suffolk Puffs

Suffolk puffs are also often referred to as yo yos and are essentially small circles of fabric which are gathered to form flower-type shapes which can be appliquéd onto a base cloth. Their name is believed to have been derived from Suffolk in England where they are believed to have originated in the early nineteenth century. Although evidence of the first Suffolk puffs dates back to the 1600s, they began to gain great popularity in the 1800s as a means of surface decoration on clothing and soft furnishings. This came as a result of the quest to reuse and recycle old clothes, particularly for farming families who had to survive on low incomes. Nothing was wasted.

I have been exploring the possibilities of Suffolk puffs in my own design work, using variations of this particular surface embellishment, which I have created using beautiful cloths to create interesting and visually engaging outcomes. I believe that the flower shapes I have been creating have a much more classic aesthetic than the organza butterflies I have been experimenting with. For this reason, I think that my Suffolk puff variations are a much better option in terms of a fabric manipulation which could potentially be successfully incorporated into my collection. The butterflies are a little bit childlike while the flowers have a certain elegance which I am drawn to.




References

2010, Suffolk Puffs, Craft Lovers, viewed 24th May 2012, <http://www.craftlovers.com/content/suffolk-puff-yoyos>

Pullen, K., 2007, All About Yo-Yos or Suffolk Puffs, Sewing/Needlework @ Suite 101, viewed 24th May 2012, <http://kate-pullen.suite101.com/all-about-yoyos-or-suffolk-puffs-a27220>

No comments:

Post a Comment