Sunday, March 18, 2012

Design Mentors

There have been a few different womenswear designers that I have been analysing in light of my own style and aesthetic over the last couple of weeks. Each captures a different aspect of my imagination and consequently, the work of each one speaks to me in a different way.

Rodarte by Kate and Laura Mulleavy is one label which I find particularly inspiring. Their collections are probably much more eccentric and dramatic than my own personal design sensibility would allow, however, I can relate to the ethereal, dream-like quality of their garments, as well as the rawness and romanticism they evoke.

The work of Felicity Brown is also very inspiring for me. She devotes much thought to colour and colour combinations, using subtle gradation of tone to create beautiful outcomes. She also uses techniques such as layering and the pairing of the voluminous and the sleek to create very beautiful and visually rich garments.

Chloe is another of my design mentors. This label is synonymous with classic femininity which is understated but innately elegant. As with Rodarte, there exists a certain ethereal quality, however, Chloe is much more refined and streamlined in its design approach which is more in line with my own design sensibility.

I would also consider Hussein Chalayan to be one of my design mentors, although I do find that some of his collections are much more inspiring for me than others. His ability to compose garments which possess both tailored and draped components, along with his sometimes deconstructionist aesthetic is very unusual and skilful. Both of these techniques are ones which I would like to explore through my own womenswear collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment